Sunday, February 26, 2012

How “Good” are we???



A small break between works always makes way for some self introspection. Here, I am with few observations, rather questions for which I am searching for answers amongst the readers…

The main aim of this article is to recognize and pull few hearts amongst the millions inside the limelight. What makes those few hearts very special?? I began to question myself for which I sum up the answers here that I got in the due process of arriving at the solution.

I point out to the honest tax payer who does not drop even a penny to a well-built beggar and who just crossed the politician known for looting in crores and distributing few hundreds to the beggar lot, busily posing at the press photo-clicks. You can find a person in his mid forties standing in that long-queue at the temple for dharshan when a young couple quickly jumps in between bribing that authority.

When millions suffer due to power-cuts, I find a person buying emergency lamps for Govt. school children facing board exams and ironically a private party celebration being thrown, stealing the grid power by the kid of a minister, probably tomorrow’s minister. When I do not find a cop at a signal, I wish it never turns red to avoid that self pricking and embarrassing testing time.

But at the very instant of red, I find a middle aged man signaling to followers that he is going to stop his vehicle. I watched the busy city folks overtaking him and laughing at him. 

 I met a person recently who busted out due to helplessness that he could not book a tatkal train ticket at the counter for his newly married daughter and son-in-law and for which he had come to station by even 4 AM. I could even hear his wife scolding him in phone for not booking. I could not stop myself from getting annoyed against that reservation staff patiently reserving for his sister-in-law and was coolly flirting wither over cell-phone.

Honesty is surely the best policy. But to what extent is my question?? You can find all kinds of people in all shapes of this society like Work, education, travel, prayers, worship, road-discipline, entertainment and so on. There are few colleges which get millions as black money for capitation and pay a huge sum for companies for mass recruiting.

 I find majority of people being focused to their families, working day and night and who are afraid to commit any mistake. They seem to focus on future and always believe and dream that there is a better tomorrow for them.

I myself am an example from such a lot. The moment I stepped out of my college, I had several dreams and plans to live for a cause and for the society, environment etc…But now after 7 months into my company, I totally am caught into the cob-web of self-centered thinking. Competition on one side and promises and hopes for a better tomorrow on the other drives me. I am guilty of changing myself according to the tunes of my masters. I never bargain these days and pay twice for products and I don’t bother to stop for RED signal when my followers blast their horns. I don’t wait for white board buses anymore. Time is ticking and so is my strength and enthusiasm. The willingness to achieve maximum & enjoy to the fullest extent when I am healthy and the literal fear of tomorrow drives my today’s life.

I contribute to pollution sitting in AC 24/7 and I have a lion’s share of net electric power being in city. I download songs from internet throwing IPR laws to trash bin. But, some inner voice pulls out my guilt feel and the result is this article. I wanted to portrait those minority people who still believe in following laws and who still feel happy and secured for not breaking the rules and who still believe something good will happen in the future.

I sometimes feel the advent of technology has brought equity to a certain level. People book in internet and there is no favoritism in any form.  People question and share any issue in social networking and media and it makes them aware of what is happening around. More importantly, they express out much.

Those minority lots inspire me to be an honest tax-payer, a civilized common man. I am still confused How good I am??”  Now, its time for you to think!!! Feel free to discuss, argue and ponder on this. If even a small percentile of inner feel makes you think after reading this article, my guilt feel would reduce much.


4 comments:

  1. I think it is a timely article...
    I want to add an incident that happened today.. There was a railway crossing in a small village road we were travellin thro'... The crossing gates just closed as me and my parents came close.. We stopped and waited for the train to pass.. In the meantime, I looked around to see so many guys give us sarcastic smiles.. They kept crossing under those gates and some managed to pass through even as the train rushed past... After accomplishing the so-called 'feat', they looked at us mockingly...
    I felt, Is this the price one has to pay for following rules?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really it is heart touching vaibhav.. :) :) Every day I too feel guilt like you.. But never tried to feel sorry for that.. Bcoz as you said, I too had ideas, social thoughts filled in my mind when i cum out of my school.. But as we grow up, the responsibility makes us so selfish and narrow minded person.. I even scolded people for being so concern chiefly about them. But nowadays I am also falling in that group.. yes, Its a shame. My heart felt bad and so I want to express myself. Anyway, lets us try change ourselves first so that the world will turn out itself.

    Thanks for the great article.. My salutes and wishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some mature thoughts there. This well said " Time is ticking and so is my strength and enthusiasm. The willingness to achieve maximum & enjoy to the fullest extent when I am healthy and the literal fear of tomorrow drives my today’s life".

    Don't get holed up in the vortex of helplessness, lack of time and lack of enthusiasm.

    One thing we all can do is be compassionate to others.

    Best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello vaibhav, you are so good. Be free from perturbed moments. All the best. Keep going on.

    ReplyDelete